Pre-pharmacy students can major in any subject as long as they fulfill the pre-requisite course requirements for the schools that they are applying to. EKU currently has one major with a pre-pharmacy concentration. Find the curriculum planner for this major online here.
Students generally apply to pharmacy school the fall of their senior year. However, students planning to just complete their pre-requisite courses and enter straight into a PharmD program may choose to apply the summer before or fall of their junior year. To see the specific requirements of all PharmD programs in the United States view the PhamCAS's PharmD School Directory. Application to pharmacy school cycle dates are available online here. Information about the Pharmacy College Admission Test (PCAT) is available online here.
General Pharmacy School Prerequisite Courses
The courses required for admission into pharmacy school differ for each school, so it is important to research the requirements for all schools you may be interested in attending.
The following courses are common prerequisites for pharmacy schools:
- Communication: ENG 101, ENG 102, and CMS 100
- Biology: BIO 111/111L
- Human Anatomy and Physiology: BIO 171 and BIO 301
- Microbiology: BIO 320 or BIO 273
- Introductory Chemistry: CHE 111/111L and CHE 112/112L
- Organic Chemistry: CHE 361/361L and CHE 362/362L
- Introductory Physics: PHY 131 and PHY 132 OR PHY 201 and PHY 202
- Calculus: MAT 124
- Statistics: STA 270
- Microeconomics: ECO 230
- Introductory Psychology or Sociology: PSY 200 OR SOC 131
- History or Political Science: HIS or POL
- Biochemistry: CHE 430/432L and CHE 431
- Genetics: BIO 315
- Job Shadowing/Co-op/Internship in a Pharmacy
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Undergraduate Research
- Leadership Positions
Recommended PCAT Prep Materials
Academy of Student Pharmacists (APhA)
Pharmacy College Admission Test (PCAT)
Pharmacy School Application (PharmCAS)
American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP)
Pharmacy is Right for Me
Individual pharmacy schools may require additional application materials, so it is also important to research each school to ensure that your application is complete. Learn more about individual pharmacy schools here and read "7 Things to Know Before Applying to Pharmacy School."