UKCOM-NKY Early Assurance Program
DEADLINE ALERT: ELIGIBLE STUDENTS MUST SUBMIT APPLICATION MATERIALS ONLINE BY MARCH 26, 2018: https://meded.med.uky.edu/medical-education-early-assurance-program-nky. HERE IS A LINK TO A SAMPLE OF THE FULL APPLICATION FOR INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY. READ MORE ABOUT ELIGIBILITY BELOW OR DOWNLOAD AN INFORMATION PACKET.
In partnership with Northern Kentucky University and St. Elizabeth Healthcare, the University of Kentucky College of Medicine-Northern Kentucky Campus (UKCOM-NKY) is expected to open in the fall of 2019 and will welcome 35 students in its inaugural class. Physician workforce needs in Kentucky will be addressed by this initiative that is intended to increase the number of students from the region who complete medical school locally.
In an effort to attract top students, the UKCOM and EKU have launched an Early Assurance Program (EAP) to provide selected EKU students with assured admission to the UKCOM-NKY upon successful completion of the program requirements listed below, and graduation from Eastern Kentucky University.
Eligibility Criteria for the Early Assurance Program
EKU students must meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for application to the program:
- An ACT composite score of 26 or higher, or SAT equivalent.
- At least 60 credit hours applicable to a degree, either earned or in progress, including: 1) Two semesters of majors coursework in the biological sciences, with laboratories; 2) Three semesters of majors coursework in chemistry, including organic chemistry, with laboratories; and 3) Two semesters of college English and/or communications
- A cumulative grade point average of a 3.6 or better in both science coursework and overall.
- Evidence of the dedication, compassion, personal and professional bearing necessary to be a competent and caring physician.
- Indicated clear interest in establishing medical practice in the Northern/North Central region of Kentucky.
- Commitment to participate in all elements of the Early Assurance Program.
An Early Assurance Advisory Committee comprised of representatives from EKU, the Administration of the UKCOM-NKY, and the Admissions Office of the UKCOM in Lexington will recommend up to two (2) EKU students annually to participate in the EAP. All recommended EAP candidates from EKU will be presented to the UKCOM Admissions Committee in Lexington for review and final selection. EAP applicants will be notified as to whether they have been selected for the program by the EKU Premedical Committee by April 15, 2018.
Early Assurance Program Activities
Special enrichment experiences for admitted EAP students from EKU will begin during the summer following acceptance and culminate the following summer, prior to their application to the UKCOM-NKY. Activities will be primarily based at EKU. Supplemental activities are also planned in the Northern Kentucky area. EAP activities will include:
- Exposure to hospital and office practice.
- Shadowing and mentoring experiences with physicians.
- Academic advising at EKU.
- Targeted research/seminar/course experiences.
- MCAT preparation.
- One-week boot camp experience in Northern Kentucky during the second summer to assist students in preparation for their application to the UKCOM-NKY medical school.
Prerequisite Course Requirements for the UKCOM
Minimal requirements for admission to the UKCOM are satisified with the equivalent of:
- Two semesters of studies in physics;
- Two semesters in the biological sciences;
- Four semesters in chemistry, including inorganic chemistry and biochemistry;
- A minimum of two semesters of college English with emphasis on communication skills such as reading, writing, and speaking.
Program Requirements for EKU Students Receiving Assured Admission to the UKCOM-NKY
- Fullfill the prerequisite courses to the UKCOM.
- Maintain a collegiate grade point average of a 3.5 or better in both science coursework and in cumulative grade point average at EKU.
- Record a MCAT score at the 65th percentile or higher, with no subscale score below the 50th percentile.
- Participate in all Early Assurance Program components.
- Submit an AMCAS application to the UKCOM by August 1, applying Early Decision to the UKCOM-NKY medical program.
- Obtain a supportive letter of evaluation from the EKU Pre-Professional Health Advisory Committee.
- Pass a criminal background check.
ELIGIBLE STUDENTS MUST SUBMIT APPLICATION MATERIALS ONLINE BY MARCH 26, 2018: https://meded.med.uky.edu/medical-education-early-assurance-program-nky.
Contact Christina Ruhfel, Pre-Professional Health Academic Advisor in the College of Science, with questions, firstname.lastname@example.org.