Physician Assistant Program Prerequisite Courses
- Cell & Molecular Biology: BIO 111
- General Chemistry I: CHE 111/111L
- General Chemistry II: CHE 112/112L
- Organic Chemistry I: CHE 361/361L
- Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy: BIO 342
- Comparative Vertebrate Physiology & Lab: BIO 348
- Microbiology: BIO 320
- Statistics: STA 270 or STA 215
- Psychology: PSY 200
- Developmental Psychology: PSY 280
- Sociology: SOC 131
- Medical Terminology: HSA 200
- General Zoology: BIO 319
- Genetics: BIO 315
- Cell Biology: BIO 331
- Immunology: BIO 527
- Histology: BIO 546
Many physician assistant programs recommend or require previous experience shadowing a physician assistant, along with direct patient contact in a medical discipline.
It is vital to research all programs of interest to ensure that all prerequisite courses and experience requirements are met before applying.
For example, UK requires the following:
- Experience working with direct patient contact. Direct patient contact may be in a medical discipline such as CNA, EMT, CRNA, CMA, Medical Tech, hospice volunteer, etc.
- You must have a minimum of 50 hours of shadowing a clinical Physician Assistant.
Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
Central Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA)
Supplemental school applications may be required.