Pre-pharmacy students can major in any subject as long as they fulfill the pre-requisite course requirements for the schools that they are applying to. EKU currently has one major with a pre-pharmacy concentration. Find the curriculum planner for this major online here.
To review the average GPA and PCAT scores of pharmacy schools in the United States visit: http://pharmacy-schools.startclass.com/.
Students apply to pharmacy school the academic year before they plan to attend (generally late spring of junior year). Application to pharmacy school cycle dates are available online here. Information about the Pharmacy College Admission Test (PCAT) is available online here.
General Pharmacy School Prerequisite Courses
The courses required for admission into pharmacy school differ for each school, so it is important to research the requirements for all schools you may be interested in attending.
The following courses are common prerequisites for pharmacy schools:
- Communication: ENG 101, ENG 102, and CMS 100
- Biology: BIO 111/111L
- Human Anatomy and Physiology: BIO 171 and BIO 301
- Microbiology: BIO 320 or BIO 273
- Introductory Chemistry: CHE 111/111L and CHE 112/112L
- Organic Chemistry: CHE 361/361L and CHE 362/362L
- Introductory Physics: PHY 131 and PHY 132 OR PHY 201 and PHY 202
- Calculus: MAT 124
- Statistics: STA 215 or STA 270
- Microeconomics: ECO 230
- Introductory Psychology or Sociology: PSY 200 OR SOC 131
- History or Political Science: HIS or POL
- Biochemistry: CHE 430/432L and CHE 431
- Genetics: BIO 315
- Job Shadowing/Co-op/Internship in a Pharmacy
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Undergraduate Research
- Leadership Positions
Pharmacy College Admission Test (PCAT)
Pharmacy School Application (PharmCAS)
American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP)
Pharmacy is Right for Me
Individual pharmacy schools may require additional application materials, so it is also important to research each school to ensure that your application is complete. Learn more about individual pharmacy schools here.