Pre-optometry students can major in any subject as long as they fulfill the pre-requisite courses for the schools that they are applying to. EKU has two majors with pre-optometry concentrations. Find the curriculum planners for these majors here.
Students must apply to optometry school one full academic year before they plan on attending (for example the spring of junior year). Application to optometry school cycle dates are available online here. Information on the Optometry Admission Test (OAT) is available online here.
General Optometry School Prerequisite Courses
- English: ENG 101 and ENG 102
- Psychology: PSY 200
- Social Science (2 courses): HIS, SOC, POL, ECO, ANT, PSY
- Statistics: STA 215 or STA 270
- Calculus: MAT 124
- General Biology: BIO 111/111L and BIO 112/112L
- Microbiology: BIO 320
- General Physics: PHY 131 and PHY 132 or PHY 201 and PHY 202
- General Chemistry: CHE 111/111L and CHE 112/112L
- Organic Chemistry: CHE 361/361L
- Biochemistry: CHE 430
Optometry Admission Test (OAT)
Optometry School Application (OptomCAS)
Association of Schools and Colleges of Optometry (ASCO)
Individual optometry schools may require additional application materials, so it is important to research each school to ensure that your application is complete.